These things chilled in our garage for a while until we could convince Bob the Builder that he really wanted to come over to help us hang these things. NOTE: When using birch plywood, the end result is HEAVY!
So anyways, after convincing Bob that the best way to spend his Saturday was to help us hang our cabinets, we had this:
Sorry for that sidebar. On to the cabinet and drawer faces...
In order to build the style that we wanted we bought "shaker" router bits to join the four pieces of the "frame" together (top, right, left, and bottom). Thankfully Bob (wow, we really owe him a lot of thanks!) had two router tables and we were able to insert one bit into each table. This made for a fairly quick, albeit extremely messy, routering (is that a word?) effort. Nate and Bob each manned one router table. I labeled each of the four pieces with a number that corresponded to the drawer or cabinet. Remember, the cabinets and drawers are different heights and widths so it is very important to keep the correct pieces together as a set.
Once properly numbered, each set was then run through the table saw with the blade set low in order to create a groove on the interior side that the drawer or cabinet middle (the picture in the frame) would "slide" into. (Man, this is really hard to explain in text and we didn't take any pictures of the process!). Once the grooves were cut, three pieces (the frame bottom, right, and left side) were glued and nailed together. The drawer or cabinet middle (the picture) was slid into the grooves (which had glue applied to them) and the top part of the frame was then put on. And, there you have them...drawer and cabinet faces.
Then, they ALL (I think we ended up with around 40 of them) needed to be sanded, and the nail holes needed to be filled with wood putty. Ugghh, this process took us the good part of one week with a full Saturday to complete.
The next step was to position the drawer faces onto the drawer shells while trying to get them fairly level before screwing them on. Thanks again to Bob who has been doing this all of his life and can pretty much eyeball things. This could have potentially taken us days to complete. The cabinet faces needed to have 1" diameter shallow holes drilled into the backsides of them (this was done at Bob's workshop) to accommodate the hidden hinges. The cabinet faces were then connected to the shells by drilling the other end of the hinges into the shell. The hinges were then adjusted (I swear that you need to have a degree in Physics to understand how these hinges actually adjust) and we have ourselves some cabinets!
We also decided to do glass doors in two areas. We wanted the cabinet leading into the dining room to feel as unobtrusive as possible so we decided to do a glass face here to make it feel lighter. This cabinet holds our plates, bowls, glasses, etc. and since we have a nice crisp white set of plates and bowls we were able to do glass doors without exposing clutter. We also did some pops of color in there with some of our lime green mugs and bowls. Also, if you know Nate, you know that the word "clutter" does not exist in his vocabulary so having glass doors wasn't really an issue for us.