We started on the floor first. We put down Hardi Backer first to act as a support for the floor tile. Nate cut the pieces down to size with a circular saw. We used an old tube of my lipstick to mark the edges of the toilet wax ring and pressed the Hardi Backer down to create a mark so that we knew where to cut around the ring.
|HARDI BACKER BOARD CUT AROUND THE WAX RING. Remnants of the Lipstick trick remain.|
We loved the idea of doing a larger tile on the floor because the wall tiles were going to be small. We chose a dark 12"x24" tile. You can see from the photograph below that we needed to use weights to push down on some of the tile to make sure that it was level. In retrospect, the large tile was a bit difficult to level in the areas where the two pieces of Hardi Backer board abutted; However, we made it work.
|FLOOR TILE WITH WEIGHTS|
Once finished, Nate grouted the floor (a day that I worked late so there are no photographs).
|COMPLETED FLOOR WITH GROUT|
|LAYING OUT THE TILE BASE MOULDING.|
Once the base moulding was installed and leveled, the rows of subway tile went up. We applied the thinset with a smaller notched trowel than the one that we used for the floor. We then pressed each tile on and set the spacers to move onto the next.
|WALL TILE GOING UP|
|ROW BY ROW AND QUITE A MESS!!|
|FAKING MY HAPPINESS|
Saturday morning it was time to test the height of the vanity to make sure that our tile height was appropriate.
|TESTING THE NEW HEIGHT OF THE VANITY.|
The penny round tile came on a 12"x12" mesh. We decided to use five rows of the tile for our accent band so Nate used an exacto blade to cut the mesh into the five row strips. I applied a very thin layer of thin set and began setting the penny rounds.
|PENNY ROUND ACCENT BAND|
|PENNY ROUND FINISHED|
Sunday was grouting day. We had two rubber grout floats that we used to apply the white sanded grout.
|RUBBER GROUT FLOAT|
|BEFORE BEING WIPED DOWN|
|NATE WIPING THINGS DOWN|
|CLOSE UP VIEW AFTER GROUTING|
|TILING JOB FINISHED!|
We still have a lot of work to do in the bathroom but the tiling project is complete! It was a lot harder than either of us expected but the result is better than we both imagined.
We will be sharing the next part of the process as soon as it begins!